After the release of Android 10, dark mode is slowly rolling out to all devices for Gmail. But as you may know when some update/change happens in any google apps. It takes few days to completely distributed in all devices.
In this article we’re going to show how you can enable dark mode in your gmail app on both updated and non updated devices.
Enable Dark Mode In Gmail Android App On An Updated Device
If you are using Android 10 now, there is a pretty good chance that dark mode feature is already present in your Gmail app settings. To check this option all you have to do is,
- Open Gmail app and click on the little hamburger icon to go to the settings menu.
- In there tap on the “general settings” and look for theme section.
- Tap on it and you’ll be able to switch to different themes like dark and light.
So these were the steps to enable dark mode in gmail app on an updated android device. But what about doing things unofficially…
Enable Dark Mode In Gmail Android App On Other Devices
Doing things unofficial isn’t that direct like the previous method. Google was working on all these dark mode features a long time ago. So if your gmail app is not ultra outdated, you’ll be able to enable dark mode by modifying its simple layout settings.
That sounds so simple. But it actually isn’t if you don’t already have a rooted android device. So if you don’t, then follow this tutorial to root it.
Rooted? Ah! now everything is super easy. So let’s talk about how to enable dark mode in your gmail app…
- Open your favourite root enabled file browser like ES File Explorer, Root Explorer or Solid Explorer. Then go to the following location…
- In there long press a file named FlagPrefs.xml and open it with SE text editor.
- Now use the find feature from the menu to search the following,
<boolean name="DarkThemeSupport__dark_theme_support" value="false" />
- Then just change the value from “false” to “true” and save file by clicking the little floppy disc icon.
- It’s ready now. You can just go to the general settings section on your gmail app and find theme option to switch theme of your app.
So this is how you can enable dark theme on your gmail app in any android devices. Thanks for reading 🙂